1) And he showed me a river (a channel) of the water of life (Hebrew “mayim chaim” and associated with wisdom and true teaching, as opposed to springs without water, or false teaching as in 2 Pet 2.17) clear as crystal (able to be understood) coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb (where Yeshua said it comes from in John 4.13-14)
2) in the middle of its street (the way to walk). And on either side of the river (the channel) was the tree of life (“wisdom” of God-Prov 3.13-19), bearing twelve kinds of fruit (twelve is the number of teaching symbolized by the Hebrew letter “lamed”), yielding its fruit (teaching) every month (the moon and sun will still function-Gen 1.14; Isa 66.23) and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations (in the Garden, Adam was not prohibited from eating from this tree until after the fall. Nobody really knows what this tree does, but it may have to do with the things of God they did not know, but now do, so healing can take place. Second, maybe it has to do with things they did in the past and the memory of them is totally gone, bringing joy, peace, life and healing).
3) And there shall no longer be any curse (from Eden in Gen 3.3,14-19); and the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it (perfect environment), and his bond-servants shall serve him;
4) and they shall see his face (Yeshua) and his name (his royal title) will be on their foreheads (the seat of the intellect, profession and comprehension).
5) And there shall no longer be any night (deception, sin and death), and they shall not have need of the light of a lamp nor the light of the sun (the written word-Psa 119.105), because the Lord God shall illumine them (the Living Word); and they shall reign forever and ever.
6) And he said to me, “These words are faithful and true”; and the Lord, the God of the spirits (human) of the prophets, sent his angel to show his bond-servants the things which must shortly (will happen quickly once the plan begins) take place.
7) “And behold, I am coming quickly (once it starts). Blessed is he who heeds (obeys, guards) the words of the prophecy (the eschatology) of this book.”
8) And I, John, am the one who heard (with his ears- one witness) and saw (with his eyes-second witness) these things (the eschatological plan of God play out). And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed me these things (he worshipped the messenger rather than the one from who the message came).
9) And he said to me, “Do not do that; I am a fellow servant of yours and of your brethren the prophets and those who heed (obey) the words of this book; worship God (and not a statue, picture, object and not to pray to another)
10) And he said to me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book (like Daniel was told to do in Dan 12.4 because many of the things Daniel saw where being fulfilled in this prophecy), for the time is near (closer at hand than in Daniel and many of the things Daniel saw can now be explained in more detail in Revelation).
11) Let the one who does wrong, still do wrong (the average sinner-the “chata’im); and let the one who is filthy (the wicked-“rashim”) still be filthy; and let the one who is righteous (the believer-“the tzaddikim”) still practice righteousness (as defined by the Torah); and let the one who is holy still keep himself holy.”
12) “Behold, I am coming quickly, and my reward is with me (Isa 40.10), to render to every man according to what he has done.
13) I am the Alpha (Hebrew “aleph” meaning power, strength, first, leader) and the Omega (Hebrew “tav” meaning covenant, cross, seal, sign), the first and the last, the beginning and the end (aleph-tav meaning “power or sign of the covenant”).”
14) Blessed (happy) are those who do his commandments (Hebrew “mitzvot” or “good works” found in the Torah. Don’t be a “hearer” only, but a “doer”-Jam 1.22, because faith without “good works” is dead-Jam 2.26) that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city (be born again through the teaching of the Torah given to Israel-Deut 30.6).
15) Outside (Isa 52.1) are the dogs (idiom for “male prostitutes”-Deut 23.17-18) and the sorcerers (drug abusers, occultists) and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices lying.
16) I, Yeshua (he signs the book), have sent my angel to testify to you these things for the assemblies. I am the root and the offspring of David (still human and a descendant of David and rightful heir to the throne, and the source for the Jewish, kingly dynasty-Isa 11.1), the bright morning star (idiom for the Messiah-Num 24.17).”
17) And the Spirit (the Ruach Ha Kodesh-John 7.37) and the bride (the new Jerusalem) say, “Come (like Yeshua said in Matt 11.28; Isa 55.1).” And let the one who hears (implying “obeys”) say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty (for true doctrine) come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.
18) I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of the book: if anyone adds to them, God shall add to him the plagues which are written in this book (illustrating the concept of “midah kneged midah” or “measure for measure”);
19) and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book (this applies to unbelievers).
20) He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming quickly (when things start happening).” Amen. Come, Lord Yeshua.
21) The grace (Hebrew “chessed”=kindness) of the Lord Yeshua be with all. Amen.
Sources used in this study:
NASB and KJV Bible
Hertz Daily Prayer Book
Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon
Gesenius Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon
Hatikva Ministries “Revelation”
Messianic Study of Revelation by Yashanet
John Gill Commentary
Jamison, Fausset and Brown Commentary
Verse by Verse Biblical Exegesis
The Spice of Torah Gematria
Jay Mack “Revelation” study
Revelation to John: A Commentary on the Greek Text of the Apocalypse by Stephen Smalley